Thursday 22 November 2007

I feel prophetic, although Mclaren's sacking

is hardly a surprise.

As I sat down with a pasta bake to watch the match last night the writing on the wall began to loom larger and larger. "England to Play in a 4-5-1" I heard. Bad, I thought, but not terrible. "England always play better in 4-4-2" I told my girlfriend. Hang on- Mclaren was then on telly saying "we are playing in a 4-3-3". What were these mysteries? Joe Cole upfront, a wingforwardkindathing. And Shaun Wright Philips too.
Then came Steven Gerrard's interview "the formation is just pre -match gossip" he declared. I was stunned. It seems tactics is something Team England don't talk about. Or formations. Just the media. He then went on to add, somewhat contradictorily. "we are really confident playing in our new formation we've been practicing it for a ages, well, a couple of days." But what formation was it? As it turned out it was a 4-5-1 becoming 4-3-3, described today as a 4-1-4-1 in today's papers, which, with the wing backs charging forward was a 2-7-1 at times last night. When it resembled anything at all. Usually the team reverted to picking the ball up just over the halfway line and trying to bang it in long to Crouch. It was the worst I have ever seen England play, ever. Even worse than the "just hit it long for Big Les" misfits of the Graham Taylor epoch. Ineffective up front, disorganised at the back, confused in midfield. A tasty looking Croatia dined on them in the rain.

Mclaren for his efforts gets a 2.5 million pay off to fuck off. Nice.

Wales however did really well. 0-0 against Germany. good one boys.

All the home nations and Ireland are left with the dilemma now of who to cheer on come the championships. I think I will plumb for Sweden, Spain, and Holland. Well, why not?

3 comments:

Jason said...

I will support Germany - good beer, hot women.

My only hope is that global warming will heat the UK and force a Latin style of football upon English players...

... but in truth, I am no longer emotionally invested in the national team. Despite the far-right's involvement waning over the last few decades, the knowledge of the type of 'patriots' that the loss to Croatia pissed off, more than compensates. In fact, the best moment watching England for me, in hindsight, is split between Owen's goal in France 98, and England's missing out on a World Cup final because of a blatant handball goal from the greatest player ever.

What's with all these severance payments? I have done some half-assed jobs in my time, but I never sat there at interview, explaining how I would only take the job if I got a load of cash if my performance was less than satisfactory. McLaren has cost the UK economy a few billion, there are 1000s of fans who had already arranged travel to Austria, he has wiped millions of the sale of replica shirts, etc, and here he is, walking away with 2.5 million!

He should be shot, his head cut off, and stuck on a spike at the new Wembley.

Jason said...

He should also be knighted and awarded the George Cross.

Chris Paul said...

well, if I resigned and got nothing, or hung on to be fired, and got 2.5 milion I might swallow my pride. It is only football after all.